Finally Fretting

Using my squeeze clamps I made a fret presser. I used Patrick Hufschmid’s technique to prepare the neck and to hammer the frets in. I used epoxy to fill the slots incase I messed up somewhere. Hammering in frets is awesome. Now all I need to do it find some way of trimming the ends…

The Awesomeness of Lemon Oil

I bought a small bottle of D’andrea Lemon oil from a local shop and started applying it to my fretboard occasionally just to see what would happen. It turned the wood a golden color and gave the padauk a gorgeous rich red. I think I’m gonna use this on the entire body and finish with…

Routing the truss rod groove/ Gluing the Neck

The truss rod was actually routed using a buzzsaw. Which meant the entry and exit left a curve. So using a drill I was able to deepen the slot at both ends. The glue I used was epoxy. Its my first time using this and it is sticky as all hell. So after making a…

Cutting out the Neck

Time to cut out the neck. I took it to Aadhar woodworks on arcot road while on an adventure with Raj (Mr. Durrp). I left the headstock thick for now and drew out the volute.

Neck Layout

This part was fun. First I made the all important centerline on both the fretboard and neck slab. Then traced the fretboard onto the neck slab. Then taped the nut on and began drawing the headstock. The nut was a mm big on either side but I’ll grind that off later. This neck is gonna…

Oooh Shiny!

I sanded the fretboard using 120-220-320-400 grit sandpaper. Teak wood smells great but clogs up the paper like crazy, it also becomes very hot from all the friction. Then I went in with some 0000# steel wool (courtesy of Divya R) and it made the wood verrry smooth. And as an added bonus made it…

Cutting Fretwire..

I couldn’t find decent wire cutters or pliers anywhere so I used the deadblow hammer and a sharp chisel. I put that wasted piece of padauk to use as a chisel/cutting board. So far nothings gone to waste! Woot!

Slotting The Fretboard…

Once I leveled out the sides I resumed slotting the fretboard. It took forever with the little saw I was using, but eventually it was finished. I was happy with the results so far. Some slots towards the end need a bit of filing but that will be done later.

Straightening things out…

I realised after looking at my fretboard, that the sides were jagged as hell. I started to sand the high points down but quickly realised that without a way of checking myself, the end result would be just as crooked. So once again I brought the metal rulers, clamps and binding tape out…

Ghetto Fretwork…

I seriously need to invest in a buncha good tools when I’m back home for good. I might as well just buy up Stew-Mac. So I fashioned my own fretting jig using a Quik-clamp and a metal ruler. I ripped off a blade from a jewlers saw I found at a hardware store. It works…

Hit a Snag…

FACK!!! So I underestimated the degree of dryness in my room compared to the environment outside. When I woke up this morning I found a series of deep longitudinal splits in the Padauk wood I bought yesterday. I think I’ll just go with a thin slice of Teak for the inner laminate. The teak fretboards…

Cutting out the Body and Fretboard

I’m posted in Emergency Medicine and today is our changeover day. This gives me some time to get some work done on the guitar before I start an 18 hour shift. I found a woodworking place near campus called Aadhar Woodworking. This place is great, has great staff and is much better equipped than the…