Carving the Upper Horn & Making Cavity Covers

So I did the usual upper horn carve, took way longer than necessary. Then I took out the EMG MMTW pickup I was going to use and figured out how much space I’d need for a cavity. The bass controls are like a guitars- just volume and tone, but this would require a battery and…

First Bolting!!!

This is exciting. Now all I need to do is mount the bridge, route the pickup cavity and control cavity. Oh, and shape that little upper horn. Then comes the long sanding part…

Routing Body Sides pt.1

This was awesome. The last body I did took hours to sand the sides smooth and it wasn’t nearly as good as this. Five minutes and the sides were done. There was a small tearout due to my initial hesitation but the rest went smoothly. Ill use a chamfer bit to do the undersides cause…

Gluing the Maple Top & Oil Finish Testing

So I glued the top in halves. One in the morning and the other at night, I cut the shapes out using a coping saw. Maple is surprisingly tough… Anyways I brought out the Tru oil gun stock finish and Japan drier and applied two coats to a freshly sanded offcut from the quilted maple…

Jormugandr Neck Pocket pt. 1

God this part gives me the most grief. Lining up the neck and the body isn’t easy. First ill use a forstner bit to hog out wood then the router to clean it all up. Next step is a first fitting then time to clean up the sides and then glue the top! Final steps…

Bahamut’s Frets

So I used my sharpening stone to file the sides. Worked well enough, and saved a ton of time. I also used y desk to bend the frets. i just used some pressure and pushed the wire in. only wasted about an inch. not bad eh? This neck is good to go.

Flossing the Fretboard

So I realized I waste a ton of time clearing out feet slots after each grit of sandpaper. I then tried to cut very thin strips o maple veneer to ill the slots but that failed miserably. I went to the bathroom and saw my dental floss on the sink. I really should use it…

Updates so Far…

So here’s what’s happening: The bass neck is done. All it needs is fretwork, tuner holes and shaping. The seven and six string necks are ready for fret installation. Just need to clean up the sides. That part sucks a lot. The bass and six string bodies are rough cut and need to be cleaned…

Jormugandr’s Body Cut & Bahamuts Neck Glued

I am getting real good with this cheap ass jigsaw. Lots of progress. In one hour I was able to cut out the other two necks, glue the seven string fretboard, and cut out the body for the bass. . Hopefully tomorrow the six string neck will be glued and the seven string neck fretted….