Halloween Horror Story – Rogers Build Saga

If you’ve been following me on Instagram, you’d have read about my struggles with completing my friend Rogers guitar. First I screwed up on the finish and let the build sit for three years because I was so mad, then after painstakingly removing the finish with a scalpel I then proceeded to punch straight through…

“The Valiant” Serial Build #009

Finally finished. My “Treat Yo Self” present for matching into my 1st choice fellowship for Hospice and Palliative Medicine. She’s got some fine detail and wiring work to be 100% perfect but she already sounds beautiful. McNelly’s Saint Nick HSP90’S sound incredible and can handle the cleanest of cleans and the dirtiest of dirty. It’s…

Finally Fretting

Using my squeeze clamps I made a fret presser. I used Patrick Hufschmid’s technique to prepare the neck and to hammer the frets in. I used epoxy to fill the slots incase I messed up somewhere. Hammering in frets is awesome. Now all I need to do it find some way of trimming the ends…

Cutting Fretwire..

I couldn’t find decent wire cutters or pliers anywhere so I used the deadblow hammer and a sharp chisel. I put that wasted piece of padauk to use as a chisel/cutting board. So far nothings gone to waste! Woot!

Slotting The Fretboard…

Once I leveled out the sides I resumed slotting the fretboard. It took forever with the little saw I was using, but eventually it was finished. I was happy with the results so far. Some slots towards the end need a bit of filing but that will be done later.

Ghetto Fretwork…

I seriously need to invest in a buncha good tools when I’m back home for good. I might as well just buy up Stew-Mac. So I fashioned my own fretting jig using a Quik-clamp and a metal ruler. I ripped off a blade from a jewlers saw I found at a hardware store. It works…

Planning out the Fretboard

After reading everything on http://www.sevenstring.org I started to plan out the fretboard. Since it was a MultiScale neck I needed to choose the two scales I’d be using for the neck. I decided on 25 inches to 27 inches, with the perpendicular fret being the nut. After failing my first attempt (major compound error), I…