Sleepless Nights Lead to Neck Building

Couldn’t sleep so I made a shooting board and went to town on some head scarf pieces. Once they were trimmed using Anthony Murkar’s plane, I glued it to the rosewood neck. I used to cut the scarf on the small piece as well but I realized this method would eliminate the possibility of the…

Truing and Gluing

Used Anthony Murkar’s awesome smoothing plane for this. My whole room smelled like maple syrup and pancakes. This method is not that efficient and requires a lot of checking but it will eventually get the job done. I clamped it down but had some more difficulty than usual because of the live edge on one…

Snafu and New Solutions

So I hit a snag. The first picture shows one side of the fretboard improperly glued. This needs fixing. I think the problem was the beam I used on top to evenly apply pressure only did so in a small area across the board. The side beams weren’t helping that situation either. Well I learned…

Ifrit’s Neck Pocket pt. 2

So I used the templates stacked to route the neck pocket, which turned out nice and snug. Mapped out the tunin holes- I’m only using three of the four since I messed up on one badly . But it shouldn’t be a problem. This thing will hold together with two at a minimum. I realized…

Jormugandr’s Body Cut & Bahamuts Neck Glued

I am getting real good with this cheap ass jigsaw. Lots of progress. In one hour I was able to cut out the other two necks, glue the seven string fretboard, and cut out the body for the bass. . Hopefully tomorrow the six string neck will be glued and the seven string neck fretted….

Body Blanks

Man when I glued these up I thought I messed up. I saw a giant glue line and thought that I’d have to dismantle everything. I took it to JD Cabinets in Fountain Valley on a trip to PetSmart and had them plane and sand these down using their giant drum sander. Man these look…

Scarf Joint was Yes!

Yup. Scarf joint was a success. There was an ample amount of glue squeeze out from each area, and with 600lbs of pressure for over 24 hrs should have left the joint stronger than the wood itself! Now time to glue the ears on the headstock and take it to JD Cabinets for some jointing…