New Year | New Projects

Since Instagram became a thing for me I have neglected this blog considerably. It’s been about 7 months since my last post and even that post was delayed by some. Since the last post I’ve been featured in Shaper Origins “Shaper Origin in Action” community series which showcases Origin users and their experiences. It was…

Halloween Horror Story – Rogers Build Saga

If you’ve been following me on Instagram, you’d have read about my struggles with completing my friend Rogers guitar. First I screwed up on the finish and let the build sit for three years because I was so mad, then after painstakingly removing the finish with a scalpel I then proceeded to punch straight through…

“The Valiant” Serial Build #009

Finally finished. My “Treat Yo Self” present for matching into my 1st choice fellowship for Hospice and Palliative Medicine. She’s got some fine detail and wiring work to be 100% perfect but she already sounds beautiful. McNelly’s Saint Nick HSP90’S sound incredible and can handle the cleanest of cleans and the dirtiest of dirty. It’s…

Carving the Burl Body pt. 2

Started this today after gluing up the walnut flat top body. I’m gonna sandwich a piece of poplar as a contrasting piece in between the walnut and sapele. I still need to joint the body so I figured I’d just glue the poplar to the body and then joint it together. This time I’ll try…

Top Glued and Templates Bandsawed

Spend some time at the Downtown Artist Space in LA. Burris was super helpful and helped me get started at the bandsaw. For my first time using it I think I did really well. I managed to cut out the head plate shapes, head scarfs, body and tops. I also got the templates cut and…

Truing and Gluing pt. 2

Walnut top trued and glued. I also sketched out the carve areas in order to visualize them better. I’m determined to move away from the whole chamfered armrest thing. It’s not that I don’t like it, it’s just that it’s associated with blackmachine too much and is way overused. These carves aren’t original, but they…

So Far So Good! Onward!

Gotta trim the sides and make the neck all pretty. Then the neck pocket and threaded screws. OH and I just bought a 10 in drill press. Be excited!

Top Carved and Sanded to 120

Smoothed out the lip and sanded to 120 grit. It’s gonna be sanded further to 220 then oiled; But that’s after the neck pocket and control cavity’s routed and bridge drilled. The missing ear is now glued onto the headstock and I found the knob I’m gonna use. Things are coming together!

Top Carved pt. 2

Ok so I got a carving kit and went at this by hand to make this contour top, an archtop. It took me all of the chronicles of riddick to get this done. I still need to smooth out the base transition and finish sand the body. So far I’m working cleaner than I have…